Preparing for Plastic Surgery
April 23, 2012
Prepare yourself and those around you before plastic surgery. The more support you have before your cosmetic surgery procedure, the less anxious you will feel during the process. Here is a checklist of what you can do ahead of time to make your recovery after surgery optimal:
- Determine who will be taking you home after your plastic surgery procedure.
- Plan to have a responsible adult stay overnight with you for the first 24 hours after you have been discharged.
- Discuss with your plastic surgeon the pain management plan so you know exactly what to do if you should feel any discomfort or pain.
- Ask if you should pre-schedule your postoperative visits or wait until after your plastic surgery procedure.
- Follow all specific preoperative instructions regarding eating, drinking, taking medicines, etc. Be open and honest with your plastic surgeon if you were not able to comply.
- Bring a list of all your current medications with you—name, dose, and schedule.
- Enlist friends and family to stock your refrigerator or freezer with premade, easy to reheat meals.
Give yourself time to recover and follow all postoperative instructions given by your plastic surgeon. Planning ahead for help with daily chores and errands will help you take full advantage of the downtime and give you optimal healing during the recovery process after your plastic surgery procedure.